Monday, May 23, 2011

Has anyone seen "Someone"?

Last year I had the opportunity to lead the worship service while our pastor was away.  I think he used what must be a term used in the pastor trade.  He needed, "Pulpit filler".  Kind of seemed like terminology I heard used in the Army.  When there was a need you might hear your favorite NCO say, "I need a warm body!".  This meant there was a task to be done and the qualifications were that you were alive.  Also, the term "cannon fodder" came to mind.  Anyway, here was my chance to whip some guilt on the congregation.  Pastors shy away from the guilt thing sometimes but I had nothing to lose.  I started by asking the congregation a question.  "Maybe you can help me.  I've been looking all over the place for a member of our congregation that people keep asking for.  The  members name is apparently, 'Someone'.  It would seem this member is very popular and able to multi-task.  People keep coming to me with concerns, projects and suggestions.  The conversation always begins with, 'Someone' should do this or that project.  'Someone' should tell the pastor something.  'Someone' should start this program. 'Someone' should do something about...................etc."  I went on to explain that when I give the person a questioning look and ask if in fact they might be, "Someone", the response is usually "Oh!  I didn't mean me!  About this time I noticed some uncomfortable squirming going on in the pews.  Maybe a guilt seed was starting to take root?



THE DREADED "V" AND "C" WORDS!
It seemed safe to push on a little farther.  No one had walked out and no one had thrown anything at me.  Moving closer to the edge, I tossed the dreaded "V" word at them and then the granddaddy of all words heard in a church, the dreaded "C" word!  Yup, I zapped them with two of the biggies, "VOLUNTEER" and "COMMITMENT".  (As far as I know the only other word that might cause more anxiety would be tithing.) However, I couldn't take a chance of using all three as they were between me and the exit.  To cut to the chase, I wasn't trying to air my pet peeves to the congregation but rather to just remind them that in joining any church, we are making a "commitment" not only to God but to our church family.  Part of that commitment is to share the load, not just by parking your backside in the pews on Sunday mornings, but volunteering when help is needed.  So, think hard about launching yourself out of that comfort zone.  You just might surprise yourself at what you are capable of doing. The rewards can be fantastic.


THE GOOD PART
If you've been kind enough to read all the way to this point I thank you.  I was having a little fun with this but it is a problem in most churches and most organizations.  Just a hand-full of people usually pull most of the weight.  They don't complain, but it would sure put a smile on their faces to see more people taking an interest in their church.  If you are a member of a church, take a little time to realize just how blessed you are to have a church family.  You have people that will be there to share your joys and to be there when you hurt.  So, the rewards of serving God by loving and supporting the people you worship with isn't a task, it is a joy.  This wasn't my idea by any means.  The need for volunteers goes back to the beginning.  Think back to the days of Isaiah.  Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send?  And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I.  Send me!" (NIV)  


We finished that service with one of my favorite hymns, Here I am Lord.  I'm certainly not egotistical enough to think I had anything to do with it but in the past year I have finally seen "Someone" in action around our church.  "Someone", is showing up to help more and more.
Maybe it's just another example of planting some seeds and watching God make them grow.
I have been blessed with a truly wonderful church family.  So, think about that comfort zone you are stuck in.  Maybe the volunteer and commitment thing might be far more rewarding than you think.  We'll get to the comfort zone hang up in another post. So what was the end result?  Well,
I discovered that as more people decided to become active in the church, the more rewards they found in volunteering and the church became more alive.  You could feel the change.


So what do you think?  Sound like  your church?  Care to share some ideas or experiences about church commitment?

1 comment: